Monday, February 2, 2009

Shoes, shoes, and more shoes


I gotta tell ya. I love shoes. Anyone who knows anything about me knows that I love shoes. Sneakers, sandals, flats, heels, flip-flops. I love them all. I would have many more pairs of shoes than I already have if my partner would just give up her half of the closet for my prized possessions. Since I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon, I'm going to have to settle for my current set-up. I'm only allowed to have as many shoes that will fit in my closet. I am forced to get rid of older shoes to fit new ones. This also prevents me from constantly buying shoes since there are many older shoes that I want to keep. It is actually a pretty good system for a compulsive shoe buyer like myself.

The point when this system breaks down is when I have to buy shoes that I don't really want. Yes, there is such a phenomenon. For example, my partner and I are going to Hawaii. All of the tour books recommend wearing some sort of sandals with traction. You know what type of sandals I'm referring to because many lesbians own them. They're called Tevas. Now I have never owned a pair and I never thought I would ever own a pair because they are just plain ugly. But when I rationally thought about hiking, kayaking, and zip-lining in my cute little black flip-flops, I realized there wasn't an option. I had to actually buy a comfortable, although hideous pair of shoes. I searched one of my favorite places to buy shoes, Zappos.com and found the best of the worst sandals. At least they have some pink in them.

When my sandals arrived, I tried them on and it was exactly as I had imagined. They made my already size 9 feet look like two skis wearing surgical boots. And I had to give up space in my closet for these? At that point I made a decision. There was no way that any of my beautiful Aldo heels or Steve Madden flats were going to give up their home for these monsters. So, they will just have to sit on top of another pair of shoes. Although, this set a very dangerous precedence. I can actually buy more shoes and build layers of shoes in my closet. I can't wait to start my spring shoe shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment