Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Drag Queens: Hot or Not?

I know that I have not written a post in awhile but I'm going to just pretend that no one noticed and move on. I was at a queer bar this past weekend to see some friends perform in a drag queen show. The show was fun and fabulous. I love how drag queens take femininity to the extreme. Hyper feminine is the best way to describe them. They've got the long, hair spray soaked locks (aka wig), the fake french manicured nails, the gobs of makeup topped off by perfectly curled fake eyelashes, and of course the skimpiest of dresses and sky high heels. One actual woman (straight or gay) would never be able to pull off several of those things together let alone all of them.

I began thinking about our fascination with drag queens after one of my friends who is a lesbian said to me this about one of the drag queens at the show, "she's hotter than a lot of women that I've known". Well, my first tidbit of advice to anyone with the urge to blurt out a statement like this is to make sure that your new girlfriend is not sitting anywhere within earshot. My friend's was and didn't seem to appreciate what she thought was a comparison of her hotness to the hotness of the drag queen. Although lesbians are stereotypically a self-deprecating, jealous bunch, I can see how her girlfriend may have taken offense. What was it that my friend seemed to find so hot or beautiful about the drag queen? Her girlfriend had none of the characteristics of the drag queen other than that she leaned more toward the femme side of the scale. Would she think her girlfriend was hotter if she wore fishnets, clear plastic six inch heels, and tons of metallic eyeshadow? I don't really know. What I do know is that society likes hyper femme women. They are seen as the epitome of beauty. Otherwise drag queens wouldn't impersonate them.

I don't think that in order to be feminine or feel feminine that you need to transform yourself with makeup, tight clothes, and long hair. I feel feminine every day without all of those things but I'm sure many ladies and gents (aside from my lovely wife of course) would not say that I'm more beautiful than a drag queen and all the other hyper femme women out there. However, I'm sure if my friend rethought her statement, she would realize that although she thinks the look of a drag queen is beautiful, she probably would never want to date one.

1 comment:

  1. Hi StyleGrrl,

    I could not find your e-mail so I am contacting you via comments :-). I came across your blog when I was searching for awesome fashion experts online and I love your work on your fashion blog! You have excellent taste and an amazing sense of style thus I want to personally invite you to be one of the top fashion Advisors on ShopSquad http://www.shopsquad.com/landing/bloggers/?vsrc=fash1026, a free shopping advice website where shoppers and your readers can ask Advisors (i.e. you!) for advice.

    If you recommend something that is purchased, you get a percentage of the sale. You're already sharing your expertise through your blog, so why not earn more money for it? You can also earn $5 for each of your readers who signs up.

    Read our great press http://www.shopsquad.com/about/?vsrc=fash1026 coverage or learn how ShopSquad works http://www.shopsquad.com/howitworks/?vsrc=fash1026. When you're ready, sign up free at www.shopsquad.com. http://www.shopsquad.com/?vsrc=fash1026

    Feel free to ask me any questions: marshall.chen@shopsquad.com.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete