Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Family that Shops Together Stays Together

I keep vowing not to be so dramatic but I really can't help it. It's in my genes. I come from a family of histrionics. We are all vying for the Oscar for most dramatic actor. Over the years I've tried to remove myself from the drama as much as possible hence living on the opposite side of the country from my family. However, I'm beginning to think that maybe I'm the drama or cause of it. After all, I just had to be "different". By different, I mean gay. I always have to be the best dressed person in the room even if it means upstaging the guest of honor at a party. And I always know what's best which means I'm always right. Maybe my family isn't that crazy. Maybe I'm the crazy one.

I'll probably never really know the answer to that question, however I do know this. Growing up in an unstable household, and by unstable I mean, divorced parents/step-family situation, clothes were always my savior. And they still are. Some of my favorite memories of my childhood are of my mom, grandma, sister and I going school clothes shopping at our favorite department store, Hess's. Hess's was a local icon of a store in Allentown, PA. It was a special time that us girls shared together, laughing, talking, and bonding over clothes. All the drama was forgotten as we played fashionistas for a day. Even though my grandma has since passed and Hess's closed in 1994, my mom, sister, and I still shop together. It amazes me that whatever craziness is going on in our lives, we're able to put it on hold to enjoy a few hours picking out clothes, shoes, and accessories with one another. That's why clothes have been and still are such a big part of my life. And now that my sister is about to give birth to her first child, I'm hoping for a girl or maybe a little gay boy so that we can continue with our tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment