Monday, January 12, 2009

Lesbian Style

Yes, I know. I promised in my last blog to write about spring foot fashion. However, as you will soon observe, I am a Gemini and Geminis change their minds often. Get used to it. I will write about spring footwear at a later time when I actually find something worthy of writing about. I can't bring myself to blog about the ungodly Gladiator sandals that are sure to be popular again this season.

I was at a fundraiser this weekend at a lesbian bar which prompted this commentary. I observed why lesbians are constantly getting a bad rap when it comes to fashion. I don’t think it’s that we are particularly bad at picking out clothes or that we really think wearing baseball caps with down ski vests is going to get us noticed. It’s just that many of us have not yet found our own personal style. Now I’m all about wearing whatever makes you feel most comfortable and confident. But don’t you also want to impress the cute girl sitting at the other end of the bar? I believe that if you find your personal style, you will feel comfortable and confident but won’t necessarily have to put on your old sneakers to do so.

So how do you find your personal style you ask? You try different styles out! When I was first coming out, I thought that being a lesbian meant that you had to dress “butch”. So I locked away my pencil skirts, high heels, and opted for bowling shoes and baggy pants. I thought I looked like a lesbian but did not feel confident that I would meet a hot butch woman with those clothes on. After some time of trying different styles, I went back to my femme ways and realized that I felt great. And I was getting the attention from the ladies that I wanted. The bottom line is everyone has a personal style. You just have to find it. Don’t wear what every other woman is wearing just to fit in. Be daring. Try on those skirts, pantsuits, heels, ties, whatever! Then go test it out. You’ll know you’ve found your style when you feel like a million bucks AND that hottie at the end of the bar gives you her number.

3 comments:

  1. I'm loving this blog!! How would you feel about cross-posting some of your articles on Lesbiatopia.com?! Our fashion section needs a talented new writer like yourself and the link-back would provide great traffic to your own blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I would love to post some articles on Lesbiatopia.com. Just let me know what you'd like and how to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WooHoo! Come to Lesbiatopia - we need you. I need you...

    ReplyDelete