Sunday, January 25, 2009

My "FAVOR"ite Things


My fashion blog would be remiss if I did not write about one of my favorite jewelry designers. Her artworks have been the centerpieces for many of my outfits. The design name is called Hotcakes Design and the store, at least in San Francisco, is called Favor. I first saw the work of Caramia when she opened up Favor on a trendy street in Oakland. I was heart-broken when she moved the store to San Francisco. The necklaces, bracelets, and pins are one of a kind and very eye-catching. They are made of carved resin and sterling silver. I have 2 necklaces (one with a hummingbird and one with a picture of Frida Kahlo), each of which cost me about $100 but they have been worth every penny. I cannot wear them without receiving a multitude of compliments because they are just so unique. If the necklaces and bracelets are too girly for you, she also has cufflinks. My partner has been bugging me to get her a pair for awhile. Hotcakes Design can be found in stores across the country. See their website for locations. They will also ship any piece to you.

I found that wearing my necklace with a plain blouse, sweater, or tank top can really spice up the outfit. This leads me to my philosophy about fashion. The secret is accessories. The more accessories you have, the less clothes, particularly expensive clothes, you need. Yes I spent a benjamin on a necklace (don't judge) but I can wear it with many different things I already have in my closet. Maybe I’ll buy a $5 tank top to change things up. It’s much more cost effective and fashionable than buying 3 new shirts that wouldn’t really have the wow factor that wearing one of Caramia’s pieces would.

No comments:

Post a Comment